Especially after childbirth, women were encouraged to eat eggs to help them recover. The number of eggs the woman consumed showed the wealth of her family, and how well (or poorly) the woman was treated by her mother-in-law.
Nowadays, egg is a common food staple. Eggs are rich in vitamins, minerals and protein.
There are many ways to cook eggs. They can be steamed, fried or boiled, alone or with other ingredients. I will show you some interesting ways to cook with eggs. I have tried all these recipes personally.
1. Rice Fried with Egg Rolls
Rice, egg, salt, cooking oil, sesame
1. Cook some rice in advance and wait for it to cool.
2. Then roll the cooked rice into small balls. If it is too sticky, dip your fingers in some water.
3. Break an egg into a small bowl and lightly whisk it, then add some salt.
4. Put the rice balls into the egg liquid, coating all over.
5. Put some oil into the pan, and fry the prepared rice balls. Remember to turn over the balls, so that they will be fried evenly.
2. Steamed Egg Custard
Egg, sugar, Chinese wolfberries, milk
1. Break an egg into a bowl and stir, warm some milk with a microwave oven, be sure the proportion of egg liquid to milk is about 1:3.
2. Add some sugar into the warm milk, and then pour the milk into the egg liquid slowly to fully mix them together.
3. Cover the liquid bowl with a lid on it and then put it into a steamer, and steam for about 10 minutes using a low heat. Decorate with wolfberries and serve.
3. Egg Cake with Vegetables
Carrot, pea, corn, egg, salt, cooking oil
1． Put carrot dices, peas and corn kernels into a pot of cold water, when the water boils, stew for one more minute before taking them out.
2. Break an egg into a bowl and stir, add some salt, and then put the boiled vegetables into the egg liquid.
3. Put some oil into the pan, and pour in the mixed egg liquid, cook on low heat until the liquid solidifies. If the liquid is thick, you have to turn over the egg cake to ensure the egg mixture is cooked through.
4. Fried Rice Wrapped with Egg Cake
Pea, corn, carrot, sausage, cooked rice, egg, cooking oil, salt, ketchup
1. Boil some water, and then put some peas and corn kernels into the boiling water for around 1 minute and take them out.
2. Cut carrot and sausage into small dices.
3. Heat some oil in a wok, add carrot dices, peas, corn kernels and sausage dices.
4. Then put in some cooked rice, and stir to make the rice and vegetables mix evenly. Add some salt and ketchup or any seasoning you like. Now our fried rice has been done.
5. Break two or three eggs into a bowl and stir.
6. Put some oil into the pan, and then pour the egg liquid onto the pan.
7. When the egg solidifies, put fried rice on one half of the egg cake and cover the rice with the other half, take out and drizzle some ketchup onto the cake.
5. Braised Pumpkin with Salted Duck Yolk
Salted duck yolk, pumpkin, cooking oil, salt
1. Put three salted duck yolks into a small bowl and mash them.
2. Clean the pumpkin, remove its peel and seeds, and then cut it into long pieces.
3. Put some water into the wok, and when the water boils, put the pumpkin pieces into the boiling water for 1-2 minutes until they get a little soft, then take them out.
4. Put some oil into the wok, when the oil gets hot, put in the mashed yolk and stir fry until you see bubbles.
5. Put pumpkin pieces into the wok and stir to make yolk bubbles coat the pieces evenly.
6. Add some salt, and serve.
6. Tomato and Egg Soup
Shallot, ginger, garlic, tomato, egg, cooking oil, salt, vinegar
1. Cut some shallots, ginger and garlic into small pieces, and dice a tomato.
2. Heat some oil in a wok, then add shallots, ginger and garlic pieces.
3. Put in tomato dices and stir for one minute before you add some salt and chicken seasoning.
4. Pour some cold water into the wok with the tomatoes, and wait until it boils.
5. Then break one egg into a bowl and stir, and put the egg liquid slowly into the boiling soup. It's better to drip egg liquid on the boiling bubbles to get better shaped egg flowers. Add some salt, vinegar or other seasonings you like.