XO Sauce is a gourmet Cantonese seafood sauce made up of dried scallops among other ingredients. Add this into the common and easy one-dish meal and it will turn out to be a special and satisfying one that you will fall in love with!
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled & finely chopped
- 100 grams fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks trimmed and sliced thinly
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 300 grams cooked rice, refrigerated overnight approximately cooked from 1 cup of rice
- 3 tbsp XO Sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- dashes of white pepper to taste
- 150 grams roasted meat (diced)
- 100 grams fresh peas
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 egg optional; lightly beaten
- salt to taste; optional
- Heat oil in wok, stir-fry the shallots and garlic until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and carrots, stir-frying until the mushrooms start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and use the back of the turner or spatula to flatten the rice balls so that the grains are separated.
- Add XO sauce, oyster sauce, belacan chilli and white pepper. Stir fry to distribute the sauce evenly over the rice.
- Add roasted meat, peas and spring onions. Stir fry for about two minutes, mixing all the ingredients evenly. If using egg, pour egg mixture evenly over the rice and use high heat to fry the rice until the fried rice is dry. Season with salt to taste.
TIPS: For best results when cooking fried rice, use cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. Alternatively, you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Refrigerating the rice keeps the grains dry so that they won’t stick to each other during stir frying.